Friday, September 6, 2013

Chicago


We hit Chicago on Wednesday, Sept. 4, during the day, so Hubby decided to drive straight through downtown on I90 rather than take I294 around Chicago as we head west on our road trip to Yellowstone, Grand Tetons and the Colorado Rockies.   
 

If you are a frequent reader of my blog you know that we lived in the Chicago area for 26 years.  That's the Sears Tower - the tallest  building the photos.  I don't remember what it's called now.  But it was the Sears Tower while we lived there.  


Hubby went to Northwestern Law School and when he graduated he looked for work in Chicago.   He got a job, we married and moved from Ohio to Illinois.  We lived all over the place - Mt. Prospect, Palatine, Arlington Hts. and lastly in Homer Township (now Homer Glen).   


As we were driving through downtown Chicago,  Hubby asked me if I wanted to take a drive by our first house we bought in Arlington Hts.  

Of course I said "yes"!  

It's a 1950s ranch built out of concrete blocks on a 3/4 area lot.  It was 35 years old when we purchased it in 1978.  

You can barely see the house for all the trees.  We planted two of them - a beautiful Linden tree and a Mountain Ash in the front yard.  

Years after we moved the empty fields across the street were developed into a large community of townhomes which is probably why the new owners put in all the plantings for privacy.  Unfortunately one of the development's entrances is  right in front of our old home. 


Hubby rode the commuter trains downtown for all 26 years we lived there.   I also worked downtown too and rode the trains.  Believe it or not for a few years I worked in The Equitable building on Michigan Ave.  But I have to say we don't miss riding the trains!   

We are very happy where we live now in southeastern Pennsylvania.   More on our road trip coming.

4 comments:

  1. How fun to stop in AH and see your old house. What area of AH was it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see you are enjoying good weather on your road trip, Sandy. I am happy that you are happy living in PA. One of my favorite states. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you checked out your old house! It's adorable. How about those trees? I am always tempted to ask the current homeowner if I can come inside and take a trip down memory lane when I drive past homes I once lived in...it's probably good I have never asked. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree I think it was sweet of your hubby to ask if you wanted to drive passed your old house. It is always fun to see the chances. Especially when they are good changes. When someone has let a place that you loved become rundown, it can break our heart. Have a wonderful trip, we'll be looking for photos of your adventures :)
    Be safe and have fun.
    Your blogging sister, Connie :)

    ReplyDelete